Saturday, February 20, 2010

7-9-1943

7-9-1943
Dear Don;
I guess you are wondering what the hell has become of me, but I have been so busy doing calisthenics, waiting in lines, pressing uniforms etc (like boot camp), that I haven’t had time to write to anyone but home. I guess you are busy too so don’t stop studying to write to me. We have gone to school all day today for the first time. I have some pretty good courses, Math, Psychology, Naval strategy, Naval History, Physics & a few other things. This is pretty nice but hard as hell. We are up at 0600 & in bed at 2200. I guess that’s about your schedule too. We have our uniforms now and I get my shots tomorrow. Last night I got an iron & pressed all of my whites, all of my blues, & a dress jumper. Boy was that a job.
Bill Bullough is in this get up too. He just came down from Farrugut to get in V-12.
It sure is too bad about Lynn, being sick at Farragut but when he went in I thought he would get sick.
Arnold coon is in the bunk below me & is he a comical guy. He’s always joking.
There are a lot of guys here from the Pacific & do they hate it here. They want to get into action again but then we all do but we realize that we’ll be a hell of a lot more good to everyone if we stick here and get some good schooling like you are getting. There are several guys here trying to transfer to radio & radar but they won’t let them. Bill Bullough is one.
Well take care of yourself and study hard & if you have a few minutes to spare write a line or two.
Best of Luck
Bill
P.S. I called home the other night & talked to everyone. Did it sound good.
Well tattoo is in a Few minutes
So long, Bill

1 comment:

  1. The letters bring real life to Bill & Don. I really enjoy experiencing the 40's through Bill's excellent descriptions of this period.

    ReplyDelete