Saturday, February 27, 2010

7-29-1943

(Pocatello, Id)

Dear Mother and Dad and Shirlee;
I just got thru doing a big washing and boy is it white. I washed 4 hats, 3 undershirts, 2 skivvies (shorts) one pair of white dress, sox and a towel & handkerchiefs etc. I’m really getting on to how to live in the Navy. It keeps us jumping but it is good for a person. I’m putting on weight and getting strong as heck. I’m also learning quite a bit.
I talked with Dad last night, which made me feel better, but I was sorry that you other “guys” weren’t there. I’ll call again next week before you come up so we will get every thing right. Dad said that you “guys” were eating your fill of hot-dogs. Boy that made me hungry just thinking about it. Dad, you sounded kinda tired! You better quit working so damned hard and tell the boss to take it easy on you. I hope you aren’t working too hard either Mom, But I do hope Shirlee is practicing hard on the ivories.
We are going to sign up for Gov’t life insurance today at 1700 and I think I will get the full amount. They only take $6.50 a month & then I am going to take out a bond a month.
One of the boys from the flrrt is leaving this week. He just couldn’t take it I guess. He said the fleet was a hell of a lot easier on a guy.
We are still getting good food & plenty of it. I eat al least 10 slices of bread a day plus the regular stuff. Last night we had ham, potatoes gravy, tomato & lettuce salad, pie (cream), cooked beets, bread, butter, milk, iced tea & sherbet. That was an exceptionally good meal but the rest are pretty good too. There is one thing that we are getting to hate & that is Idaho Potatoes We get ‘em for every meal. Potato soup, potatoes fried, boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes, potato salad & potato cocktail (haha) but I guess they are good for us.
Well I guess I’ll write a few more letters & sign off for now.
Hope you are all well
Bill
Arnold says hello!
I’ll sure be glad to see you on the 7th at 9:00 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment