Wednesday, February 17, 2010

7-07-1943

7-7-1943
Dear Mother, Dad, Shirl, & Rhoda;
Whew! What a day. Boy did I do a lot today---here is my schedule.
0600-revellie
0610-out on drill field for calisthenics (Boy! What calisthenics)
0630-make bunks (& finish dressing, clean room)
0640-swab the head & passageway (toilet & hall)
0650-line up for chow
0655-leave for chow
0700-eat chow (pretty good)
0725- back from chow
0730-finish cleaning rooms
0800-start registering for class work
1100- finish registration (what a job)
1150-line up for noon chow
1230-finish noon chow
1 o’clock 1300-walk around campus
1:20 1320-start pressing clothes
1800 evening chores
7:00 2000-whenever---I finished cleaning & pressing 6 pair pants, 6 jumpers that were brand new and was that a job. I was about the only one who knew how to press & I had to teach other fellows how. My whites really look wonderful & so does my dress uniforms. (blue)
2105 (9:05 PM)- writing to you
I am feeling wonderful even though this is a hell of a lot of work. Boy, I was pressing for about 3 hours I sweat like heck. We pulled off our Jumpers & pants and that way we slept cooler. I just got out of the shower & I felt clean & nice. It sure is convenient to have you hair cut short. you can wash it & it doesn’t go all over.
The boys are singing a (about 100) down on the main deck and it really sounds good up here on the bridge deck.
I sewed my initials in all of my socks & I also washed two white hats. Arnold is sewing his in now & is he having a time. I sure did register for some good subjects, here they are…
History Background of WWII---2 (credit hours)
Naval Organization ---------------1
Math analysis III-------------------5
Physics III--------------------------4
Psychology (prescribed for Naval officers)—4
Physical Education----------------12
18 hours credit (not bad

This is a good course and I am really going to work hard in it. You can imagine what we will have to do with all these subjects and do our washing, pressing, cleaning & special duties besides. But I know I can do if anyone else can.
That physical education is a laugh because we get it in the morning & every Saturday and in the evening besides. I make about 2 ½ hours per day of phys. Ed. Including swimming & calisthenics. We sure get good nourishing food. For noon chow we had, roast beef, butter & bread, potatoes & gravy, vegetable salad, cooked carrots, milk, & water and ice cream. I can’t kick about anything because it is all swell but still there is no place like home.
Tell Milt hello & that I think about him even if I am too damn busy to write to him personally. Tell Aunt Lou & Uncle Fred & Mr. & Mrs. Gillchrist hello too.
How is Don doing? I haven’t heard from him yet. How is Lynn?
Well I guess I had better “shove off” now as tateo (taps) is in 40 minutes & I have to put the folded blankets etc. on my bunk & go down in the hold & see if my hats are dry. Hope you are all well and take care of yourselves.
Your loving
Son & Brother
Bill

Shirlee;
I sure wish you were here to see all of the swell fellows. These guys are all the tops of the nation “except me” and they really are a wonderful bunch. Maybe I can get you a husband. They all know how to keep house too.
Love Bill
Sure hope the garden is O.K.
Tell grandma hello.
Bill
You can send some cookies. (for Denny he’s a cookie eater)
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment