Wednesday, February 17, 2010

7-1-1943

Dear Don;
Well here I am in Idaho. What a joint. I’m stationed here at the University of Idaho in Pocatello. We checked in this morning and we were given a physical exam. We were then assigned rooms and they sure are neat. They are in the Girl’s Dorm and there are two double tear bunks in each room. We have private showers and good food. Arnold Coon is in the same room as I am and so are two other fellows that I knew at South High. We were issued blankets today but that is all so far. We will probably get our uniforms Saturday or Sunday. They will be regular jobs uniforms. I don’t know how long I’ll be here but I guess it will be until Nov. first. I hope I can pass everything O.K. but they are going to wash-out about 75% of us I guess. We had to wash windows and clean our rooms up today, boy did we have fun.
It was only a 6 hour trip up here but it seems so far away from Mom and Dad & Shirlee (&Rhoda) they hated to see me leave but, like you, there was nothing I could do about it.
I have seen a lot of regular Navy guys up here from the South Pacific. I just talked to one sailor that was on the “Enterprise”. I asked him if he knew James Reese but he said he didn’t.
It’s hotter than heck up here and in the night it gets cold. Pocatello is really a lousy city but they sure treat us swell here at the University.
Well I guess I’ll get ready to go swimming down at the YWCA. We have a test in swimming tonight (I hope I can pass it)
Well good luck to you and write as soon as you get time but don’t neglect your studies because that radio is really good stuff and I’ll bet it takes a lot of studying to pass it.
Best of Luck
Your Brother
Bill

My address
William Reed Smith A.S. Navy V-12, Unit, Graveley Hall Co. 12,
University of Idaho, Southern Branch,
Pocatello, Idaho

No comments:

Post a Comment