Monday, February 15, 2010

6-4-1943

June 4, 1943
Dear Don;
You’ve been running around so much lately that I guess you haven’t had much mail. The main new is that I am laving on the 30th of June that is about a week. I just got back from town where I bought me a bag and some slippers and stuff for camp. I go to Pocatello Idaho, I also go with Lester’s brother …Arnold Coon. Pocatello should be a nice place because there will only be 450 Navy men there that should mean that they will treat us quite nice.
Well how do you like the windy city of Chicago? I bet it’s quite a dump compared to Salt Lake. We haven’t received any of your mail yet but Aunt Lou got a card from you with your address on it so I guess we will hear tomorrow.
It sure has been hot here the last week or so. And the garden is growing like blazes. I’ll bet you had a good trip with Rapp and Trinnaman on the way to Chicago. I guess there is a lot of nice scenery all along the way. How were the meals on the train, I’ll bet they were lousy?
I hate like heck to leave home but I want to get into a uniform where I can do my part along side you guys. I guess I’ll get might home sick but there is a job to do and you can’t do it at home. Thee damn coal miners should be the ones to go out and fight in the front lines for a while so that they could appreciate what some you guys are doing, like Jim Reese. Boy that guy has seen a lot of action.
Well I guess I’ll close for now and I hope you are doing OK in your school. I guess it is plenty hard but I know you will do good in anything you want to. Aunt Lou said you work from 7 in the morning till 9 at night, boy you must be getting a real education and working hard. Well best of luck and I hope I’ll be seeing you soon.

(To Don from his Mom)
Thurs. 430 P.M.
June 24
Hello my Dear Son, Just got your add from Aunt Lou. We will hear in the morning but I couldn’t wait to get the letters coming to you so I will hurry this along & will write more tomorrow (fri) The add was a little blurred but I hop we got it right. We are fine & do write when you can. I know you are busy. Bill well be gone next week so Dad & I will sure be lonesome. Bill is waiting so I’ll hurry.
Lost of love & kisses form your loving Mom,
xxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment