Monday, May 3, 2010

7-31-1944

Dearest Mother, Dad, Shirlee & Rhoda;
I got back from my “swell” trip to San Fran this morning at 0200. Boy, everything worked out just perfect. We spent all day Sat. & Sunday together plus all evening Friday from 1800 on. It was really good to see Don and we enjoyed ourselves a lot. I can also report to you that Don looked better than I have seen him look. He feels swell and eats good. We spent about $20 just on chow for two days.—I gained 3 pounds just over the week end. I weigh 140 lbs normally but I was a little more than that this morning. We also saw some good shows, good bands & a lot of sights.
It was also swell that we got a line straight thru to you. It really sounded good to hear your voices. I guess we were just lucky getting a call thru so soon.
Don took me out to yacht harbor and we watched an army amphibious landing maneuver for about an hour and a half. They practiced taking a beach there from a big transport ship anchored off shore about a half mile. Boy, I wish you could have seen those amphibious ducks (trucks that swim) –they just travel from water to beach like it were a highway. And then we saw an LCT (langling craft tank) pull up on the beach and dump off its cargo of air-craft guns etc. They had blank machine guns firing all over & it really looked like the real thing. I would surely like to be doing something useful like that.
Well, after that we went to a show at the Waldorf & then got some good chow at the Pig’ n’ Whistle & then it was time to go. However, I didn’t feel too bad about leaving this time because Don looked so good & felt so well. He is really O.K.
I hope you aren’t worrying foolishly over his next assignment. You know he will be O.K. wherever he is so why the heck worry, Worrying does no good but a lot of harm. The Phibs is a hell of a good outfit and it is an interesting one. They use a lot of good radio equipment & that’s where the R.t.’s fit in. I only wish I were qualified for it.
Well, I will secure for now—I hope you are all as well as Don & I.
Best of Love
Billy (haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment